Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Back in the Straddle Again

The Setting: Beautiful blue skies, punctuated with white, puffy clouds.

The Soundtrack: Oia's precious babbles.

Steaming up the Stove-top: Brown rice.

The Scenario: Every so often I feel like I'm in a good rhythm, like I've hit my stride, like I can actually put a check next to every item on my to-do list. Other times, I'm straddling the Twister mat of my life, one hand on baby, the other hand on blog, waiting for the spinning arrow to dictate my next move, and hoping my balance is better than my quivering muscles suggest.

It's been a game of Twister lately.

Between the everyday coos and poos of the little one, a trip home to Nashville for Easter, and preparing (myself, mentally, and the apartment, physically) for two big moves this summer (more on that soon), the blog has been a little neglected.

I've been working through the fridge and freezer, trying to make sure we knock out as many of the perishables as we can before we pack things up in May, and getting the apartment organized.

I am also, theoretically, working on a cookbook.

But fear not, for I have many exciting bloggables in the works!

Courtesy of Artisan Books, I will be cooking from and reviewing two very intriguing cookbooks in the coming weeks.

Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet (a Culinary Journey through Southeast Asia) by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid will take us down the Mekong River, with recipes like Grilled Tomato Salsa and Thai-Lao Crispy Rice Crackers, Spicy Cucumber Salad, and Fried Bananas.

Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home by Jeni Britton Bauer will expose us to a world of creamy, frozen ecstasy and exotic flavor combinations, replicating the country's best artisan ice-creams, frozen yogurts, and sorbets in the comfort of our own kitchens.

Also stay tuned for a post on my Earth Day cooking class, featuring Vegan Berry Tarts and the long-awaited recipe for Asparagus, Leek, and Goat Cheese Tarts!

Thanks for reading! Here's to Being the Secret Ingredient in your life.

No comments: