Thursday, January 12, 2012

Cold Feet

Barefoot in Miramar Beach, FL


The Setting: A snowy night in Nashville.

The Soundtrack: Winter Wipeout on TV. It's pretty ridiculous.

Steaming up the (Microwave) Oven: Hoosband's Homemade Hot Cocoa.

The Scenario: Winter vacation is almost over, but winter itself is just getting started.

Snow is blanketing the majority of the nation as I type, and I am considering hibernation.

It's 27 degrees here in Nashville, 73 degrees in Ft. Lauderdale (where we were this time last year), and 19 degrees in Notre Dame (where we're heading).

This is the time of the year when it really sinks in: we are so not in South Florida anymore.

We have, however, had a wonderful winter break split between Nashville and North Florida.

While I hate to get my toes out of the ocean and back into woolen socks, I am left with plenty of inspiration, new favorite foods and flavors.

There will be much to reflect on over the coming months while I do my best to keep warm in our frosty apartment.

For now I'll leave you with some of the highlights....

Writing on the porchswing

Nature and dune trails at Grayton Beach State Park

Sweet Potato Pancakes and Corned Beef Hash at The Donut Hole

Hillsboro Village, Nashville, TN

Grabbing ice cream at Hot and Cold

Burgers and malts at Elliston Place Soda Shop